10 Fun Icebreakers With Scandal’s Matthew Del Negro (Cyrus’ Hot Husband!)
Matthew Del Negro has done his homework. The gracious actor—currently starring in Hot Pursuit with Reese Witherspoon (“We’re probably the two worst cops in the history of cinema!” he laughs) and as male prostitute Michael on* Scandal*—has been anticipating “10 Fun Icebreakers With…” for a while now. “You have all these surprise questions, so I hope I can live up to it,” he jokes (we think). Del Negro needn’t worry. After all, he inadvertently crashed our Chris Messina interview a few months ago and did just fine, so this should be no exception.
Before we get to it, what’s in store for Michael and Cyrus in tonight’s Scandal season finale? Could these two unlikely fellas actually fall in love? “You go in thinking it’s going one way, but when you have Shonda Rhimes and her writers writing for you, it gets flipped on its head,” says Del Negro. “The table reads are so exciting because you’re thinking, Where are we going here?! I would always try to guess, but then I was always wrong! I learned I will never write for Scandal.”
1. You played the role of “Driver” in Law & Order. What’s your worst offense in real life: more speeding tickets or parking citations? “Oh, that’s a good question. I have had speeding tickets but not a ton. Those hurt more than a parking ticket, but I probably have more parking tickets!”
2. You played Brian Cammarata on The Sopranos for eight episodes. What’s your favorite Italian dish, and what actor would have been the most fun to go out to eat with? “My favorite Italian dish is frutti di mare, which translated means fruit of the sea. We used to have that every Christmas Eve, and my mom would make it. That or my Nonna’s lasagna and manicotti. I’m very blessed in Italian food. The person I would eat it with is James Gandolfini, rest his soul; that guy was awesome.”
3. You’ve starred on MTV’s Teen Wolf and also opposite Alyssa Milano on Mistresses. Which one would your teenage self been more excited about? [Laughs] “Are you kidding me? Alyssa Milano! There’s probably no other actress out there that every guy between the ages of 30 and 60, if you bring up her name, they all had a crush on her at one point in their lives. They loved her.'”
4. You’re good friends with Chris Messina. If you guys were to go on a road trip together, where would you go, who would drive, and who would have the best taste in music? “Oh, that’s hysterical. I actually told him I was considering driving with my son cross-country and he should come with us. [Laughs] I would say that he has the best taste in music in terms of having a lot of variety. In terms of driving, we’d take turns, but either way I think it would be a funny trip, and on the brink of breaking the law in some way.”
5. Who do you get that you look like most: (a) Noah Wylie, (b) Jake Owen, or (c) someone else? “I get, though I haven’t gotten it recently, but during the ER years, I would get Wylie. I used to bartend in New York, and it was to the point that during a busy night when I would be slammed serving drinks, girls would come up and say, ‘You know who you look like?’ And it would get so crazy that I would just get to the point where I’d say, ‘Yeah, Dr. Carter, whaddya need?'” [Laughs]
6. You have two young kids. What’s the craziest thing you’ve done in the name of love for them? “Oh my God, I don’t know if you can print this. [Laughs] I won’t say which [kid], but there’s a thing called potty training, and oftentimes in potty training, the child will have a hard time letting go of solid items, so in some cases, a father may have to use their fingers to help get something out of something. [Laughs] I’m not saying that ever happened, but hypothetically, a father could do that for their child.”
7. Your marriage announcement (back in 2002) was in The New York Times. True or False: It’s the only wedding announcement you’ve ever read in the Times. “I think I’ve read some friends’ wedding announcements, but that’s one of the only wedding announcements I’ve read in The New York Times!”
A photo posted by Matthew Del Negro (@mattydel) on Dec 28, 2014 at 7:27pm PST
8. I’ve heard you go by Matthew, Matty, and Matt. Who calls you what and why? “People from growing up used to call me Matty D., so that’s where the Matty came from. Matthew is definitely more of a professional thing, but most people would say Matt.”
9. You played on the lacrosse team at Boston College. You’re also 6’4″. What happened to being a basketball player? “Lacrosse was huge where I grew up. I played basketball just till freshman year, but football and lacrosse were my sports. It was mainly just a function of my upbringing.”
10. Word Association with some of your leading ladies: “Kerry Washington: Genuine. Sofia Vergara: Beautiful. Reese Witherspoon: Professional. Edie Falco: Thespian. They’re all hardworking, smart, beautiful, and professional. They’re a combination of everything.”
You can follow Matthew on Twitter here and Instagram here.
The season finale of Scandal airs tonight on ABC at 9 P.M. ET. Before you watch, learn how to do crisis management from Kerry Washington: